FareShare receives £84,000 from Stop Hunger

  • StopHunger

Keeping up the momentum of its charity partner lockdown support, Stop Hunger recently donated £84,000 to FareShare. The grant will help the charity meet the costs of transporting increased volumes of food caused by the global Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic.

Sharing a belief that no good food should go to waste, Stop Hunger and FareShare’s partnership spans more than 10-years. FareShare is the UK’s longest running food redistribution charity and has been operating for over 25 years.

Because of the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, the demand for FareShare’s services over the past year has more than doubled, making the large-scale distribution of nutritious food their biggest challenge.

To help alleviate some of the huge pressure FareShare is currently facing, the Stop Hunger Foundation recently made the charity a grant donation of £84,000 helping it to overcome significant barriers. 60% of the donation will go towards the charity’s transport budget, with the remaining 40% left unrestricted, giving FareShare the flexibility to respond to the increased demand.

Becky Ettinger, Head of Fundraising, FareShare, says: “Sodexo and the Stop Hunger Foundation have been incredible to work with. Their long-standing support of FareShare, over more than 10 years, has been transformative for so many communities struggling to afford a meal. Their recent grant will now benefit thousands of local charities and community groups, as well as the people they support.”

Stop Hunger’s partnership with FareShare is based on shared values, with people, planet, places and partners forming the base of Sodexo’s recently launched Social Impact Pledge, whilst remaining an important part of its Better Tomorrow 2025 strategic roadmap

Gareth John, Stop Hunger’s Chair of Trustees, adds: “Our partnership with FareShare is key to the work we do at the Stop Hunger Foundation. With the help of hundreds of Sodexo colleagues, we are able to reach thousands of beneficiaries every year – something that is especially important right now as the demand for food support is greater than ever before. Our goal is to improve the quality of life for those in our local communities and create lasting change.”

Unfortunately, social distancing and additional safety measures have meant that the usual volunteering opportunities Stop Hunger organises with its charity partners every year are currently unavailable. However, the Foundation is working hard on upcoming changes to support Sodexo colleagues and their Stop Hunger activities during the pandemic and beyond, including identifying new ways to work with FareShare over the coming year.

If you are a Sodexo employee, please continue to check the Stop Hunger Goodness Platform for all the volunteering opportunities currently available to you.

Colleagues from Sodexo's Diageo contract volunteering pre-Covid